Skip to main content

Review - I can do it too!

I Can Do It Too!: Handprint BooksI Can Do It Too!: Handprint Books
By Karen Baicker
Illustrated by Ken Wilson-Max
18 pp ; board book, full color throughout, ages 2-4
ISBN 9780811875608

This heartwarming story reminds us how satisfying it is to grow up surrounded by love. I Can Do It Too! affirms a little girl's growing independence as she, too, can begin to do all the things she sees her parents, relatives and neighbors do: pouring juice at breakfast, strumming a guitar, and even riding a bike! The simple cadence of text and direct-to-the-heart art result in a book as warm and generous as its message, providing reading pleasure for toddlers, older siblings, and the grown-ups who love them.
My kid is in this exact same stage of life and believes himself capable of doing everything he sees us doing. He and I had fun reading this book. And naturally, everything the little girl in the book does, my son proclaimed he could do too. What warmed my heart was that he really can do all that stuff. Except the baking part - that's not my son's mileu. But the rest... a piece of cake! Bragging apart, this book really gets what being a kid is all about - wanting to do and experience everything and anything right away.

While this is not a criticism, I think the book would have benefited from adding a page or two about cautioning the kids against, or gently explaining to them about not doing something dangerous or harmful in their zeal for experiencing what others older than them are doing. That would have nicely rounded off what's already a fun book to read.

More details at the Chronicle website - here

This product was received for review/feature consideration.
----------------------------------------
If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my Full Feed RSS.
You can also Subscribe by Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

Comments