Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Guest Author - Malena Lott

It's a new year and time to welcome a new author - Malena Lott! She is an award-winning writer and the author of three novels. Her latest release, FIXER UPPER, is available in the Kindle store and other digital formats. She resides in Oklahoma with her husband, three kids and smelly shih-tzu. .

Author Malena Lott Guest Blogs at A Book Blogger's Diary

A child’s father dies unexpectedly. “He was sick one day and died two days later,” my daughter reported. I heard mumbles of suicide. Another child goes to the office crying. He hasn’t seen his mother in two months and she won’t return his family’s calls. Is she dead? Did she abandon them? Two other children live on the Boys’ Ranch. My daughter wants to know why they are there – what happened to their parents? Are they dead, in prison, don’t love them anymore? And grown-ups. Marriages we think are rock solid, crumble. Ministers leave with their secretaries. And worse.

When I was a child, I remember my grandmother saying, “you never know what’s going on behind closed doors,” but I didn’t realize the full implication until I was an adult. Now I find myself saying the same thing to my kids when they tell me stories from the classroom. What’s going on behind closed doors likes to remain in the dark. If it seeps out, it could be gossip or just speculation. Sometimes it’s the ugly truth.

Stories are created by investigating what’s behind the closed doors; both within families and in the minds of our characters. In FIXER UPPER, my new novel, I get to explore what’s really going on behind a glamorous marriage of a handsome politician and his socialite wife. John Edwards had me fooled, too. Things usually aren’t as rosy as they seem, and yet, in real life we don’t usually get the answers or the emotional satisfaction that novels can provide. Novels go deep, and in this day of trashy headlines and fifteen minutes of fame, a little depth is in order.
For more information, visit Malena's website : http://www.malenalott.com/

If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my Full Feed RSS.
You can also Subscribe by Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

0 People said :

Post a Comment