Fashion curator Athena Smith will do anything to get her perfectly manicured hands on the Clayworth family's celebrated couture collection for her exhibit. So when she's called in to make sure the gowns are the real deal, she's ecstatic...until a dress she's examining turns out to be loaded with toxins (talk about killer threads!) and Athena faints, only to wake up face-to-face with the One That Got Away, notorious Chicago bachelor Drew Clayworth.
Drew still believes Athena betrayed him all those years ago, and he's sure he can't trust her. But when the priceless gowns go missing, she offers to help track them down. Reluctantly allied in the quest, Drew and Athena are soon stunned by the barely restrained passion still sizzling between them...and memories both bitter and sweet. Is their new partnership just a business arrangement? Or is this something more?
A sweet novel with fun characters, A Black Tie Affair is a light-hearted way to pass an afternoon. I found myself smiling a lot when reading this book and there were even a couple of laugh out loud moments. The story is generally engaging, but a couple of things jarred. Like an aspect of the mystery (which isn't that deep) that remains a mystery. And the whole reason over which the protagonists remained alienated for years, seemed very trivial. High fashion is so predominant that it could almost be termed as another main character and those who worship at its altar will find this story so much more. The author clearly knows what she's talking about when it comes to fashion - mystery, not so much.
A copy of this book will go to one lucky reader.
- Recommend me any other upcoming light-hearted mystery.
- You must include your email address at the end of your comment, so you can be notified should you be chosen as a winner. Use the format abc AT xyz DOT com, to avoid spammers.
- Readers who've won here in the last 6 months are not eligible.
- No PO boxes, please
Please leave a NEW comment for each extra entry you do.
- 1 ENTRY - Subscribe to A Book Blogger's Diary feed
- 1 ENTRY - Subscribe to A Book Blogger's Diary Email Updates
- 1 ENTRY - Add A Book Blogger's Diary Button (see right sidebar) to your blog
- 1 ENTRY - Add A Book Blogger's Diary text link to your blog roll
- 1 ENTRY - Add A Book Blogger's Diary to your Technorati Favorites
- 1 ENTRY - Become a fan of A Book Blogger's Diary on Facebook
- 1 ENTRY - Follow this blog
- DAILY ENTRY - Follow A Book Blogger's Diary on Twitter AND tweet this giveaway @callmeabookworm
- 10 ENTRIES - Blog about this giveaway including links to the Sponsor and this giveaway
- UNLIMITED ENTRIES - Comment on any non-giveaway post. Comment here with the title of that post for each you do.
Deadline Midnight CST of Feb 26, 2010.
Eligibility US & Canada
Please read the Disclaimer. Good luck!
*** Edited to Add ***
And here is a guest post from the author about her book and experiences with it. Due to poor health, I couldn't add it to the post earlier.
Good to know, Sherrill! And thanks for stopping by.
Note - This book was received for review/feature consideration.
If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my Full Feed RSS.
You can also Subscribe by Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.