“Mesmerized” by the true story of a war veteran and his twelve-year-old daughter who, after going undetected for years, were discovered living in a densely wooded Portland park, Shortridge—ever the novelist—empathized strongly with those involved, from the father and child to those who found and then became involved in their lives. Soon a character emerged, one that captured the conflicting emotions and responsibilities of those obligated to carry out specific actions, even when it goes against their instincts.
My copy is on its way and while I missed the news bit about the veteran and his daughter, I can't wait to read this fictional account. Good news is that Publishers Weekly, in a pre-publication review, says that in “examining people willing to sidestep the rules in pursuit of a greater good, Shortridge’s fourth novel recalls Barbara Kingsolver’s Pigs in Heaven.”
Many thanks to Jennie (and Joy!) for sending in this guest post at short notice and in spite of an injury!
A copy of this book will go to one lucky reader.
- Read any other fiction based on true events? Let me know.
- You must include your email address at the end of your comment, so you can be notified should you be chosen as a winner. Use the format abc AT xyz DOT com, to avoid spammers.
Please leave a NEW comment for each extra entry you do.
- 1 ENTRY - Subscribe to A Book Blogger's Diary feed
- 1 ENTRY - Subscribe to A Book Blogger's Diary Email Updates
- 1 ENTRY - Add A Book Blogger's Diary Button (see right sidebar) to your blog
- 1 ENTRY - Add A Book Blogger's Diary text link to your blog roll
- 1 ENTRY - Add A Book Blogger's Diary to your Technorati Favorites
- 1 ENTRY - Become a fan of A Book Blogger's Diary on Facebook
- 1 ENTRY - Follow this blog
- DAILY ENTRY - Follow A Book Blogger's Diary on Twitter AND tweet this giveaway @callmeabookworm
- 10 ENTRIES - Blog about this giveaway including links to the Sponsor and this giveaway
- UNLIMITED ENTRIES - Comment on any non-giveaway post. Comment here with the title of that post for each you do.
- Readers who've won here in the last 3 months are not eligible.
Deadline Midnight CST of Feb 4, 2010.
Eligibility US only.
Please read the Disclaimer. Good luck!
Disclosure - This book was received for review/feature consideration.
If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my Full Feed RSS.
You can also Subscribe by Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.