Synopsis - It's late in the fall in Edinburgh and late in the career of Detective Inspector John Rebus. As he is simply trying to tie up some loose ends before his retirement, a new case lands on his desk: a dissident Russian poet has been murdered in what looks like a mugging gone wrong. Rebus discovers that an elite delegation of Russian businessmen is in town, looking to expand its interests. And as Rebus's investigation gains ground, someone brutally assaults a local gangster with whom he has a long history. Has Rebus overstepped his bounds for the last time? Only a few days shy of the end to his long, controversial career, will Rebus even make it that far?
One of the most engaging series set in Edinburgh comes to a suspenseful and spectacular finish with this book and I have to say I'm most sorry that it has ended. Sarcastic yet astute, Rebus can be termed as Holmes' Scottish counterpart - plus the intuition but minus the drugs, although Rebus does smoke like a chimney. It is one last chance for Rebus to settle some old scores and perhaps go out with a bang having captured his nemesis - well, that would been ideal yet cliched. And that's not what happens. However, what does happen is so convoluted and mired in politics, sex, drugs and whatnot to keep both the reader and Rebus guessing and wanting more even after the last page has been turned. Read it, and you won't know how a whole wintry day (and night) has gone by.
A copy of this book will go to one lucky reader.
- Recommend me another detective series set in Europe.
- Please list your email address within your comment so that you can be notified should you be chosen as a winner.
Please leave a NEW comment for each extra entry you do.
- 1 ENTRY - Subscribe to A Book Blogger's Diary feed
- 1 ENTRY - Subscribe to A Book Blogger's Diary Email Updates
- 1 ENTRY - Add A Book Blogger's Diary Button (see right sidebar) to your blog
- 1 ENTRY - Add A Book Blogger's Diary text link to your blog roll
- 1 ENTRY - Add A Book Blogger's Diary to your Technorati Favorites
- 1 ENTRY - Become a fan of A Book Blogger's Diary on Facebook
- 1 ENTRY - Follow this blog
- DAILY ENTRY - Follow A Book Blogger's Diary on Twitter AND tweet this giveaway @callmeabookworm
- 10 ENTRIES - Blog about this giveaway including links to the Sponsor and this giveaway
- UNLIMITED ENTRIES - Comment on any non-giveaway post. Comment here with the title of that post for each you do.
- Readers who've won here in the last 3 months are not eligible.
Deadline Midnight CST of January 31, 2010.
Eligibility US & Canada only. No PO Boxes.
Please read the Disclaimer. Good luck!
Note - This book was received for review/feature consideration.
If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my Full Feed RSS.
You can also Subscribe by Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.