368 pages, Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Greg and Tess MacAvoy are one of four prominent
Once again, Hilderbrand masterfully weaves an intense tale of love and loyalty set against the backdrop of endless summer island life.
Elin Hilderbrand is known for the depth of her writing and so it is with this book as well. Don't be misled by the breezy beach cover as I was, for this book is anything but light. This is the story of people learning to cope with the death of their close friends and in the process, their own pasts are revealed, their personalities and flaws are exposed. Past and present events are woven together snugly (and sometimes in a giddy manner) even as an unexpected mystery element raises its head. Now that was definitely unexpected! The story is itself very interesting, but not more than the characters themselves whom the author shows us to be real and flawed just like ordinary human beings. One other major aspect of the novel is the island of Nantucket itself which is brought to stunning life in the author's lyrical words. So much so that it at once dominates and empowers the story at times. Also, much fodder for discussion can be found in the serious issues raised in this book such as adultery, addiction etc.
In short, The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand is a "can't put down" read!
Don't forget to check out these links about this book as well:
- Elin Hilderbrand's website
- THE CASTAWAYS excerpt
- THE CASTAWAYS book club
- A SUMMER AFFAIR video
- Original "The Castaways" cocktail recipe
- What Summer Cocktail Are You?
Thanks to Miriam from Hachette Books, for organizing this book tour and including this blog as a tour stop.
A copy of this book will go to one lucky reader of this blog, courtesy Hachette Books.
Note: Sponsor will not ship to PO boxes.
- Just leave a comment with your email address in the body of the comment itself telling me : why you want to read this book.
- Please list your email address within your comment so that you can be notified should you be chosen as a winner.
Please leave a NEW comment for each extra entry you do.
- 1 ENTRY - Subscribe to A Book Blogger's Diary feed
- 1 ENTRY - Subscribe to A Book Blogger's Diary Email Updates
- 1 ENTRY - Add A Book Blogger's Diary Button (see right sidebar) to your blog
- 1 ENTRY - Add A Book Blogger's Diary text link to your blog roll
- 1 ENTRY - Add A Book Blogger's Diary to your Technorati Favorites
- 1 ENTRY - Become a fan of A Book Blogger's Diary on Facebook
- 1 ENTRY - Follow this blog
- DAILY ENTRY - Follow A Book Blogger's Diary on Twitter AND tweet this giveaway @callmeabookworm
- 10 ENTRIES - Blog about this giveaway including links to the Sponsor and this giveaway
- UNLIMITED ENTRIES - Comment on any non-giveaway post. Comment here with the title of that post for each you do.
Deadline Midnight CST of August 12, 2009.
Eligibility US & Canada only.
Please read the Disclaimer
If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my Full Feed RSS.
You can also Subscribe by Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.