Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Author Guest Post - Marilyn Meredith

No Sanctuary
F. M. Meredith
180 pages, Dark Oak Mysteries, ISBN-10: 189234355X
Today I'm pleased to welcome author Marilyn Meredith, with the latest book in her Rocky Bluff P.D. series, No Sanctuary. Her guest post here today is part of this book's virtual tour, courtesy Pump Up Your Book Promotion.

About the Book

First on the scene of a traffic accident that turns out to be murder, Officer Stacey Wilbur calls Detective Doug Milligan. Despite her former vow to never date anyone on the Rocky Bluff P.D., she and Milligan are romantically involved. Finding time to be alone together isn’t easy.

The murder victim is the wife of a popular Rocky Bluff minister, and several suspects immediately come to the forefront, the minister himself, his nosy secretary, the choir director, and a nerdy stalker. Stacey helps Doug with the murder investigation, but the Chief asks her to go undercover as a prostitute to expose a pedophile which leads to a surprising job offer.

Stacey must make two major decisions that will change her life forever, and a third that nearly causes her to lose her life.

About the Author

Under the name of F.M. Meredith, Marilyn Meredith writes the Rocky Bluff P.D. series, the latest is No Sanctuary from Oak Tree Press. She is also the author of award winning Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery series as well as over twenty published novels. The latest is, Kindred Spirits, from Mundania Press. 

She is a member of  Sisters in Crime, Mystery Writers of America, EPIC and on the board of the Public Safety Writers of America. She was an instructor for Writer’s Digest School for ten years, served as an instructor at the Maui Writer’s Retreat and many other writer’s conferences. She makes her home in Springville, much like Bear Creek where Deputy Tempe Crabtree lives.  Visit her at http://fictionforyou.com

Author's Guest Post
The People Who Inhabit My Mysteries  
By Marilyn Meredith

A question I get asked quite often is “Are any of your characters you? Do you put your own personality or traits into any of your characters?”

Quite frankly, in my case, the answer is no. There are police officers who write books about police officers, antique dealers who write books about antique dealers, cooks who write books about cooks, and so on. I’m not one of these. 

I’m a great-grandmother who has never been in law enforcement, been involved in a murder (thank goodness), or tried to solve a crime. What I have done is lived in a neighborhood with several police officers and their families, had a son-in-law who was a police officer who liked to tell me his stories, gone on several ride-alongs, belong to the Public Safety Writers Association (http://www.publicsafetywriter.com) where I have many friends who are still or are retired law enforcement.

In my Rocky Bluff P.D. crime novels, I’ve created a police department in a small Southern California beach community. The fifth and latest in the series is No Sanctuary and by this time the people who populate the pages of these books have become very real to me. I’ve seen Officer Doug Milligan suffer through a painful divorce, be mentored by an older detective who retires, and become a detective himself. From being broken-hearted, he’s found a new romantic interest in Officer Stacey Wilbur.

Stacey, a widowed mother of a young son, made a vow to never date anyone on the Rocky Bluff P.D. Doug Milligan has caused her to forget her vow. Stacey worked along with Doug on several cases and is a great help to him in solving the murder of a popular minister’s wife in their latest adventure. She also faces several challenges and great danger.

The bumbling Officer Gordon Butler pops in and out of Stacey and Doug’s life, interrupting romantic moments and coming close to spoiling an undercover operation.

When I’m writing about these people, I get inside them and peer out through the eyes. This way I can write about what each one sees, feels, hears and experiences. They are as real to me as any of my relatives or friends. In fact, I know them better than any of my relatives or friends, because I know my characters’ motives for doing things and I even know their inner most thoughts—something I certainly don’t know about any of the people in my life.

To learn more about these characters, they blog from time to time at http://rockybluffpd.blogspot.com

No Sanctuary by F.M. Meredith is now available as a Dark Oak Mystery from http://www.oaktreebooks.com  and Amazon and for an autographed copy, go to http://fictionforyou.com

~ F.M. Meredith a.k.a. Marilyn Meredith

Thank you for that entertaining post, Marilyn! Readers, your thoughts / comments are most welcome.
If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my Full Feed RSS.
You can also Subscribe by Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.


  1. Thanks for hosting Marilyn today.

    I am sometimes surprised by the answer to that question of how much an author puts of herself into her characters, and this is one of those cases.

    Marilyn seems like someone who, in her younger years, could have been Stacey. She's smart, strong, and surrounded by a bunch of cops. Wait a second, maybe that came out wrong. LOL!

    Seriously though, I just finished reading "No Sanctuary" and it's definitely a book crime fiction fans will enjoy. My review will be up at The Book Connection this week.


  2. Wasn't that fascinating. I know Marilyn loves writing crime fiction but never knew she didn't have any connections personally with fighting crime. She's just so good at hooking readers through her characters, I always thought she must have worked in that area at some point. Love learning new things about authors you think you knew everything about!

  3. Great guest post from Marilyn.