Skip to main content

Review - Cotillion By Georgette Heyer

Cotillion
Author: Georgette Heyer
Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Synopsis: Miss Kitty Charing is the penniless ward of an irascible, rich old man who asks her to choose one of his four nephews as a husband if she's to inherit his fortune. When Jack, the one nephew Kitty is really enamored of, doesn't show up when it comes time for her to choose, Kitty's wrath is aroused. Determined to escape to London as well as make Jack regret his decision not to show up, Kitty cleverly conspires with yet another potential suitor/nephew, Freddy, to announce their sham engagement. Together the duo arrive in London where Kitty's innocent, adventurous but potentially damaging antics threaten to turn poor Freddy's hair gray. What happens next is one of the most unexpected and unusual love stories.
Review

I've said it before and I have no hesitation repeating myself. Georgette Heyer is par master when it comes to crafting witty, active and lovely romance stories. And each new one I read, I fall in love with it and declare it to be the best. So it is with Cotillion!

This book takes the cake, takes the crown and takes the Oscar for a wonderfully surprising and sneak-attack kind of Romance that simply delighted even my jaded old heart!

It's my habit to read the synopsis or the blurb on the back/inside cover of a book before reading the story itself. As you can imagine, this often takes away the surprise and the suspense inside the pages. But this being a Heyer novel, I sat down to enjoy it without bothering to read the story. This was particularly unusual for me as this is one Heyer novel I had never read before, or at least I don't remember reading it ever. If I had, I wouldn't have been so surprised with the way it ended, which was lovely beyond words!

Kitty, Freddy, Jack and almost every other character in this book sparkle with a joy of life that's as effervescent as it is unique. Only Heyer could write a book that's so filled with interesting characters and situations, where the reader is kept in the dark who the protagonists are despite them being right there under their very own noses, practically falling in love before their eyes.

In Short

If you read just one Heyer book, make it this one!


Buy the Book - here.
Visit the Author's site - here.
Visit the Publisher - here.

______________________________________________________________________
If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my Full Feed RSS.
You can also Subscribe by Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

Comments

  1. I probably sound like a true bookacholic here, but I want to get this collection of the re-releases! I do have COTILLION, such a beautiful cover. I don't remember reading her in HS or ever. I just recently read BLACK SHEEP and it was absolutely wonderful!!! So much a comfort reading it. I just smiled through the whole thing! I got about 4 of the prints or so, so far. But I don't want to miss any of these reads! I'll make sure I read this one of hers next! Great on the review. I felt so much what you did with reading Ms. Heyer's voice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! I loved her books when I first read her more than a decade ago. And I still find myself loving them after all this time. Some books have that magic touch to them. And probably, the only true legacy a master author can leave behind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, nice blog. Thanks for share useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An enjoyable read Cotillion by Georgette Heyer. loved the way you wrote it. I find your review very genuine and original, this book is going in by "to read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to like, subscribe and comment...

Popular posts from this blog

Gabrielle Bernstein stops by...

I'm happy to welcome Gabrielle Bernstein who's once again stopping by here with a guest blog post. Her second book Spirit Junkie: A Radical Road to Self-Love and Miracles  was published by Random House September 12. It’s part memoir and part road map: Gabby shares her journey toward becoming the full-on, inspirational Spirit Junkie that she is today, and she teaches her readers every lesson she learned along the way. BECOME A SPIRIT JUNKIE

Gerard de Marigny stops by...

Today I'm happy to welcome Gerard de Marigny , author of The Watchman of Ephraim , who's guest blogging here today. About the Book - Aref Sami Zamani is planning a terrorist attack on American soil - codenamed "Antioch," a plot to detonate a nuke over the city of Las Vegas. The Watchman uncovers a connection between Zamani and a Mexican drug cartel but their agent goes missing before they can learn more. That's because Zamani has a spy working for The Watchman. Strange events start to unfold near the Nogales border crossing. References are discovered to something the Mexicans are calling "Noche Del Espantada" ...Fright Night," but can it mean something else? Why I Write Thrillers

Review - Bath Tangle by Georgette Heyer

Sourcebooks Casablanca, 368p, ISBN:1402238797 To say that the beautiful and tempestuous Lady Serena is highly upset to find that her recently deceased (and highly eccentric) father, the Earl of Spenborough, left the care of her fortune and control over her marriage to her jilted fiancé Ivo Barrasford, the Marquis of Rotherham, is to understate the case. Too much time has elapsed since Serena broke her engagement to her childhood companion, Rotherham, (and that too after the invitations had been sent - such a scandal !) for them to feel anything but discomfort at this bit of posthumous matchmaking on the part of the Earl. Or so they both declare. Used to commanding a large household and having acted as her father's hostess from a young age, energetic and politically-savvy Serena soon finds herself in doldrums when her life is suddenly reduced to a small Dower house with none but her father's young widow, Fanny, for company and a social sphere consisting of occasional visi