Sunday, November 16, 2008

Book Review - Faro's Daughter by Georgette Heyer


Author: Georgette Heyer
Paperback: 304 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
To help support her spoiled younger brother and a widowed aunt, beautiful but poor Deborah Grantham becomes the attractive hostess at her aunt's nightly card games. Soon she has a string of admirers including a callow under-age youth who wants to marry her and a jaded older man who has less honorable intentions, and none of whom Deb is interested in. And in this volatile mix enters Mr. Max Ravenscar, London's richest and most-tightfisted man. Cousin to the titled young gentleman who wants Deb for his wife, Ravenscar is determined in his efforts to buy off Debroah, believing her to be a scheming hussy, a Faro's daughter, a gambling addict. This infuriates the noble-hearted Deborah who then plots her outrageous revenge on Max. What results next is Heyer at her sparkling best - a exciting and highly entertaining Regency story of hidden love, outrageous plots and silly capers.
I have long been a fan of Regencies. Georgette Heyer in particular, excels in this genre and is always a delight to read. Faro's Daughter reminded me of yet another fave of mine, Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice". The story of a strong-willed rich man and a spirited young woman of unsuitable antecedents is the point in common between these two lovely stories. But that's where the similarity ends.

Faro's Daughter is a lot more passionate and filled with raging, conflicting emotions that are expressed in the form of energetic, witty and no-holds-barred form of dialogue exchange between the leads that leaves the readers exhilarated and craving more. Deb is far more peppery than Regency heroines in general and this is a very refreshing change. Even Max, the not-so-perfect hero, is energetic, infuriating and yet comes out very likable despite it all. Other characters are also well-conceived. I particularly liked poor Lady Bellingham, Deb's beleaguered aunt, who barely avoids a heart-attack from some of Deb's more adventurous antics.

All in all, there's a reason why the well-plotted, character-driven, energetic Faro's Daughter is considered one of Heyer's best. 

Thanks to Sourcebooks, who is reprinting a number of Heyer's classic historical and Regency romances in trade format and plans to have 21 of her 40-plus novels in print by mid-2009, we'll be getting to read a lot of more of this beloved author's irresistible novels.

Read some of my other Georgette Heyer book reviews:
The Spanish Bride by Georgette Heyer
Friday's Child

Buy the Book - here.
Visit the Author's site - here.
Visit the Publisher - here.

______________________________________________________________________
If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my Full Feed RSS.
You can also Subscribe by Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

3 comments :

  1. Thanks for the review! I've been debating between reading this one or another Heyer novel, and now I think I'll pick up this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could help, Swapna. Which is the other Heyer novel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one to read and right now I'm reading BLACK SHEEP of Heyers and its absolutely wonderful! Gosh what a great comforting feeling it being so into this book, I feel like I'm just within the rooms watching it all happen! Its great to read her books as I only read a couple as a teen and don't know which! I love how they are putting them in trade size and the beautiful covers. They are keepers! I have maybe 4 so far, so I got lots more to get from Sourcebook but these are ones I want to get the collection of and read as I do.

    Wonderful to read your review! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete