Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Book Bash - St. Martin's Press

A Book Blogger’s Diary

SPONSOR - St. Martin's Press
Eligibility -US only
Number of copies being given away - 1

My Hero : Military Kids Write About Their Moms and Dads

Author: Allen Appel, Mike Rothmiller
Hardcover: 144 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Press (May 15, 2008)

Working through the Armed Services YMCA, Alan Appel and Mike Rothmiller have collected more than 100 essays from children whose parents are serving or have served in the military. The children’s heartfelt, moving, sometimes funny, and completely honest observations about their moms and dads truly capture the emotional connection between parent and child. It is a connection that cannot be severed even when a parent is thousands of miles away, gone for long stretches of time, and in danger.

Inspiring, heartbreaking, and genuine, this book provides a fascinating look inside the hearts and minds of kids who love and honor their moms and dads as heroes - at home or on the battlefield.

Allen Appel is the author of five novels and the successful series, Thanks Mom and Thanks Dad. Mike Rothmiller is the author of the bestselling non-fiction book, L.A. Secret Police.


This is an adorable gift book (perfect for Mother's Day) that's a collection of essays and art work from children about their parents in the armed forces. It's a poignant and heartwarming look at military families, told from the point of view of kids aged 6-14.

An example:

"She's like my guardian angel. When I'm hurt she's my doctor. When I feel like I can't do something mom encourages me and tells me I can do it… My mom is always happy…"
– Nyesha Brownlee, age 9

The book has been endorsed by all three living former presidents and contains a foreword by General Norman Schwarzkopf. It comes out on May 15, just in time for Armed Forces Day (May 17) and Memorial Day (May 30). I also just got word that Sen. Pat Roberts is sponsoring a Senate resolution to proclaim May 15 Military Kids Day, which would make the pub date of the book a holiday in itself.

Good luck!

Have you entered MY BOOK GIVEAWAY?
The Lewis book giveaway is there. (There's a very SPECIAL PRIZE being given away)
(Also, Mother's Day Giveaways galore at my other blog, A Bookworm's Diary)

Treat me to a Starbucks, so I can stay up late blogging my heart out!


If you like this post, then please consider subscribing to my Full Feed RSS.
You can also Subscribe by Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

Get paid on 100% of your website traffic, no clicks necessary!
How is this possible? CLICK HERE.


  1. This book looks so sweet. I blogged about the contest here:
    sharlacarbine at gmail dot com

  2. I love these types of books! This one sounds wonderful too!

  3. Hi, I know several people who have and those who still are serving in
    Iraq. Please enter me in this book drawing. I appreciate it.....Thanks,