Friday, May 23, 2008

The Andromeda Strain

Long before the terms 'Biological warfare' and 'nano-technology' became a reality and part of our daily lives, author Michael Crichton came up with the idea for his book 'The Andromeda Strain'. No, no, it's not a war story; rather it's one of science. But the effects are equally devastating and scarily real.

The story goes something like this :
The Andromeda Strain The United States government is given a warning by the pre-eminent biophysicists in the country that current sterilization procedures applied to returning space probes may be inadequate to guarantee uncontaminated re-entry to the atmosphere.

Two years later, seventeen satellites are sent into the outer fringes of space to "collect organisms and dust for study." One of them falls to earth, landing in a desolate area of Arizona. Twelve miles from the landing site, in the town of Piedmont, a shocking discovery is made: the streets are littered with the dead bodies of the town's inhabitants, as if they dropped dead in their tracks.

I read this book quite a while back and was equal parts horrified and fascinated by the premise. Masterfully drawing out the suspense and giving it a terrifying reality with the ample doses of science to lend credence to the fnat, Michael Crichton hooked readers with this book when it was released in, I believe, 1971.

Good news is, ''The Andromeda Strain' is now all set to infect the air-waves, courtesy A&E.

The Andromeda Strain on A&E

Based on the Crichton novel, the four-hour original A&E television event, starrring Benjamin Bratt, Eric McCormack, Ricky Schroder, Andre Braugher, Christa Miller, Daniel Dae Kim and Viola Davis is all set to premiere in hi-def Monday May 26 and Tuesday May 27 from 9-11 PM ET/PT.

Be sure to watch it (or at least Tivo it for later) and prepare to be terrified. That's the thing with almost all Crichton novels. There's always a strong possibility of fiction becoming fact somewhere down the line. I'll be waiting with bated breath come Monday!!

Experience The Andromeda Strain http://www.aetv.com/the-andromeda-strain/index.jsp

Also check out the giveaway happening there.


Treat me to a Starbucks, so I can stay up late blogging my heart out!
Have new posts sent directly to your inbox. Subscribe by Email.

3 comments :

  1. OH NOW I'VE BEEN TRYING TO WIN THE MOVIE AS THIS SOUNDED SO GOOD AND I HOPE I WIN THE BOOK SINCE I COULD NOT WIN THE MOVIE.

    HOTCHA

    linda_bass@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH NOW I'VE BEEN TRYING TO WIN THE MOVIE AS THIS SOUNDED SO GOOD AND I HOPE I WIN THE BOOK SINCE I COULD NOT WIN THE MOVIE.

    HOTCHA

    linda_bass@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check the site and see who won, Linda!

    ReplyDelete